Skip to main content


Honest advice, friendly service

Personal Insurance
Business Insurance
Quote Request
Insurance Companies
Insurance Resources
Contact Us
Pay Your Bill
Claims FAQ ~ Home
Claims FAQ ~ Auto
Site Map
Member Login
Ocean City Events
Think of the questions your customers ask most frequently and write them here along with the answers.

A: First you want to try and stay claim.  If anyone is injured, call 911 for immediate medical attention. 
Call 911 to request that a police officer come to the accident scene and make a report.  The police report is imperative, even in small incidences because you want a record of what happened.  The police officer will take down details while they are still fresh and a police report will be helpful for the insurance company to help settle claims.  People can change their stories later and the police report could cone in handy.
If the accident is a hit-and-run and the other driver has not left a note, it is still vital to call and obtain a police report so that the insurance company will have something to work from.
Do not admit fault.  It is important not to talk to anyone about the accident except for your insurance agent, a representative from your insurance company and the responding police officer. 
Get the names of ALL witnesses on the scene.  Take down their mailing addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.  This inforation will be helpful for you and/or the insurance company should they need it later.
Promptly report any incident to your independent agent or to the insurance company by calling the claims hotline.
If you believe the other driver to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, please make sure the police report reflects that. 

A: Damage to your windshield would be covered under a coverage called "comprehensive" or also known as "other than collision coverage".  If you have liability only on your vehicle, there is no coverage for windshield repairs or replacements.
The next thing to check to see if you have coverage is your deductible.  If your deductible is $500, chances are your windshield will cost less than that to replace and the company will not pay for the windshield replacement.  If your deductible is $100, you would be responsible for the first $100 in damage and the company would pay the difference.
Other circumstances where you still may have coverage:
Some policies have a "glass" option.  You may have a "$500 deductible with glass".  In a situation like this you would be covered for full glass breakage but still have a $500 for all other types of comprehensive losses.
Some insurance companies will waive your deductible if your windshield can simply be repaired.  These are usually small chips, less than a quarter in size and not in the driver's view.  Read through your policy documents to find out if your insurance company waives the deductible for glass "repair" or includes full glass coverage with comprehensive.

A: Deer strikes would be covered under comprehensive/other than collision coverage.  If you have liability only on your vehicle this would not be covered.  If you see a deer and swerve and strike a mailbox, that would be considered collision coverage.

A: By now you have read that glass breakage and deer strikes are covered by comprehensive coverage.  Other types of comprehensive claims would be fire, theft, weather related losses such as hail, wind and flood.  Comprehensive is generally cheaper in cost than collision coverage.

A: There are typically two parts to make up "full coverage".  Comprehensive and Collision.  Collision is striking anything but a wild animal.  If something calls off of the truck in front of you and hits the road and you run into it, that is collision.  If you run a stop sign and strike another vehicle, that is collision.  Full coverage refers to have comprehensive and collision insurance.  You can elect to purchase comprehensive without collision but you must have comprehensive to be eligible to purchase collision.
Full coverage does not necessarily mean that everything is covered.  Options like towing and rental car coverage are optional items that can be added to a policy and charged for accordingly.

A: If you have full coverage on your policy, the coverage would transfer to a temporary rental vehicle.  You would have the same deductibles for the rental car as you do your own vehicle.  If you have liability only on your policy, there is no coverage on rental vehicles.
Loss of use is not covered under your insurance policy.  If you are involved in an accident and the rental car will be in the shop for a week getting repaired, the rental car company could charge you for the amount of money they are losing by not being able to rent that vehicle.  That is called loss of use and would not be covered by your personal insurance.  That is something you would have to talk to the rental car company about whether or not it would be covered if you purchased their insurance.

A: Rental car coverage only applies when your vehicle is out of commission due to a covered loss.  If you are in an accident and your vehicle will be in the body shop for 2 weeks, your policy will pay for you to rent a vehicle at that time, subject to the amount of coverage that you carry.  If your vehicle is simply broken down and needs to be repaired, your rental car coverage will not cover you in that in that instance.